Teaching the tripod pencil grip - whole class approach
Key Stage 1 (5 - 7 year olds)
Drawbridge Flip (Tripod pencil grip method) video
Drawbridge Flip instructions
- Place the pencil on the table in front of the writing hand, so it forms a straight line up the table with the writing tip of the pencil pointing towards you.
- Then using your thumb and index finger pinch the pencil either side of the shaft about 2 cm up from the tip for a right-handed writer and about 3 cm up for a left-handed writer. Dots or sticker may be placed on the pencil to help thumb and finger placement.
- Pick the pencil up off the table and place the finger nail of the middle finger on to the pencil just above the tip.
- Keep the ring and little finger gently curled in.
- Push down with the middle finger so that the pencil moves up and over like a drawbridge, keep pushing until the pencil is supported in the cup (web of skin that joins the thumb, hand and index finger) and the pencil is resting on the inner edge of middle finger.
- When writing, the end of the pencil will be angled towards the shoulder for right-handed writers and the elbow for left-handed writers.