Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand Education for Children

All rights reserved © Copyright Teach Children Ltd |  Sitemap |  Contact Us | Disclaimer | About Us | Facebook | Twitter

Teach Handwriting

Chinese proverb

Contact Us About Us

Specific Learning Difficulties and Handwriting

What are Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD)?

Specific learning difficulties is a generic or umbrella term used to describe a section of the population who have some degree of learning difficulty. This could range from a child who has a problem learning to write certain letters, but with support overcomes the problem, to a child who needs one to one support throughout their school career and adult life.

In schools it often includes children who have been assessed as having Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADD, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome and many more. These are lifelong conditions where children need to be taught coping strategies and skills to support them through into adulthood and beyond.

Specific Learning Difficulties and Handwriting

Here at Teach Handwriting we believe that a well-structured progressive handwriting program that looks at the whole child is the only way forward for all children whether they have specific learning difficulties or not. This is primarily based on our experience of bringing up two dyslexic daughters (both having achieved good degrees) and secondly on my teaching experiences.

It needs to be remembered that depending on the level of difficulties some key areas may take longer to develop, but it is worth taking the time to build up good skills base.

For some children their difficulties are more severe and specialist support may be required from professionals such as Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists or Specialist Teachers. It can take a long time to get this kind of support through the school system, due to waiting lists, but that does not mean you and the school cannot start to support your child’s needs.

How to Use the Teach Handwriting Site to Support Your Child

You may  have a view of where your child needs extra support, but are unsure which section will give the most relevant advice.

We suggest that you:

If you are unsure of your child’s abilities then we recommend that you:

If you find it is a little overwhelming then just contact us and we will do our best to put you on the right track.

More boys than girls tend to be reported as having handwriting difficulties and research suggests that they do not always catch up.