Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand Education for Children

All rights reserved © Copyright Teach Children Ltd |  Sitemap |  Contact Us | Disclaimer | About Us | Facebook | Twitter

Teach Handwriting

Chinese proverb

Contact Us About Us

A Route for Seeking Additional Support for Your Child

You can talk to the Head Teacher if you remain unhappy following the SENCO meeting and with any action plans put in place. Although they manage the running of the school the SENCO does all the SEN organisation and implementation of the SEND code of practice, so they will refer back to them in relation to your concerns.

The new code of practice gives the schools greater responsibilities and duties, one of which states that schools MUST publish on their web-sites detailed information of their SEN policy which must be updated annually. This information MUST include:

With all this information to be made easily accessible by schools it should make it a lot easier for parents to make sure their child is receiving the SEN support they need and deserve.

A  parent’s guide to the new code of practise is now available from the DfE:

The Dyslexia Action Trust have produced their own very useful and informative Parents Guide to the new Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 – 25; 2014 (SEND).

Who’s Who in the Assessment World of SEN?

Educational Psychologist (EP):  The role of the Educational Psychologist is to assess psychological and educational development problems encountered by children and young people in education, which may involve learning difficulties and social or emotional problems.  Their aim is to enhance a  child’s learning and enable teachers to become more aware of the social factors affecting the teaching and learning for the child.

Occupational Therapist (OT):  The role of the Occupational Therapist  is to work with children who have difficulties with the practical and social skills necessary for their everyday life. Through assessment and appropriate intervention programs their aim is to enable a child to be as physically, psychologically and socially independent as possible.

Physiotherapist: The role of the Physiotherapist is to assess and manage children and young people with movement disorders, disability or illness. Their aim is to help the child/young person to reach their full potential through providing physical intervention, advice and support.

Specialist Teachers (ST) : The role of the Specialist Teacher (usually works for the LA and commissioned by the school) is to choose and use appropriate assessments and interpret the results to make detailed recommendations for external exam requirements and suggestions for intervention programmes for IEPs and ILPs They are fully qualified and experienced teachers who have undergone additional post-graduate training in specific learning difficulties or SEN.

Speech and Language Therapists (SLT): The role of a Speech and Language Therapist  is to work with parents/carers and schools to assess if a child has speech and/or language difficulties, communication or eating and drinking or swallowing difficulties. Through assessment and appropriate intervention programs their aim is to enable a child to reach their full communication or eating and drinking potential.

A useful Who’s Who in the assessment world of SEN can be found at  Pearls-training